June 21, 2011

Bruschetta Burger

Almost three weeks ago when I posted last, I assumed I would be back into the swing of things. Well, that obviously was not what happened. I haven't really had much to post because I haven't really made anything new. I have made easy, family favorites that I have already posted, or my mother-in-law made dinner for us. Oh it was so nice having my mom and then my mother-in-law here!
I am still having a little hard time adjusting to the life of a mother of two. I will confess that I have had a few hard days after my mother-in-law left trying to figure out how I would do it all - the housework, the cooking, taking care of a newborn, and entertaining a toddler without the television. I cried. I whined to my husband. I told myself "Enough!" I made some goals. I got organized (a bit). And I am feeling better about things. It is 3pm and I am still in my pajamas - but that's okay because today I have vacuumed, tidied up, done the dishes, made dinner, played Memory and playdough with my toddler. That may not seem like much, but for me, I think that isn't too bad!
Yesterday I was inspired when I saw a cooking show (what I watch when I am nursing sometimes) make bruschetta. My basil plant has been growing well and I thought that I would do something with it. So I decided to make an Italian Burger with a Bruschetta topping.
I am still trying to loose some "baby weight" (although these last few pounds are from the first baby, not the second). So I am trying to make things a little healthier now. I made these burgers with ground turkey and instead of fries, we had zucchini sticks and dipped them in marinara. I was pleasantly surprised with the whole meal!


Italian Turkey Burgers with Bruschetta Topping
For the Bruschetta (recipe from my friend Jenny):
4 Roma tomatoes, cubed
2 Tbsp fresh basil (I used about 10 leaves)
1/4 c grated Romano cheese
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
seasoning salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

In a medium bowl, mix tomatoes, dried basil, cheese, olive oil, garlic, vinegar, seasoned salt and ground black pepper.
Cover and chill in the refrigerator 8 hours, or overnight, before serving.

For the Burgers:
1 19oz package of ground turkey
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp fresh rosemary
1 tsp fresh thyme
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
pinch red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
Seasoning Salt
Fresh ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients until well incorporated, but don't overmix. Test the seasoning by taking a teaspoon of the mixture and cook. (see here) Adjust seasoning as needed. Divide meat mixture into 4 equal portions. Shape into patties. Cook on grill or skillet (medium high heat) until done.
Top with bruschetta topping and a toasted bun. Serve with zucchini "fries" - cut zucchini into the french fry shape, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast under broiler until browned.

If you have leftovers:
Crumble meat over a bed of lettuce, top with bruschetta and use the bruschetta liquid as your salad dressing. Delicious! (that was my lunch today!)

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Love the look of that toasted bun

Hannah said...

Holy Canoli! That looks incredible. Yum. yum. Must make it asap.

the firths said...

Awesome! They had this something like this greasy-style at Red Robin a while back. It's fun to have the recipe! Thanks for posting.