January 30, 2012

Gnocchi with Kale and Butternut Squash

I finally come out of the funk of hormones and a new family schedule. I think I have it figured out. Just the schedule part, I don't have the rest figured out yet. Let me know if you have any mothering secrets.

So I am out of the funk and I have finally started cooking more. I have to say we all are feeling better about it. I found this recipe in my Food Network Magazine. It is a dish that can be made in 20 minutes. It was much faster than I expected. And way more delicious than I expected. Seriously, it has been about 10 days since I made this and my mouth still waters looking at the picture.
My husband doesn't really like cooked greens, but he rated this, "Eat monthly" - not bad for someone who doesn't really love butternut squash or cooked Kale! I could eat it weekly.
I did make my own gnocchi because I wanted to see how hard it was. It was fun, but time consuming. If you are interested in making it, I made this recipe the day before - that way you aren't in the kitchen all day.


Gnocchi with Kale and Butternut Squash
adapted from Food Network Magazine
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 tbsp roughly chopped fresh sage, or 1 tsp ground dried sage
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes Kosher salt
1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 bunch kale, stemmed and roughly chopped (about 8 cups)
1 17.5-ounce package potato gnocchi (or about 1/2 the recipe linked above)
3/4 cup grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the squash and cook, stirring, until slightly soft and golden, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, sage, red pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon salt; cook until the garlic is soft, about 2 more minutes.
Preheat the broiler. Add the chicken broth to the skillet. When it starts to simmer, stir in the kale and cook until it wilts slightly, about 2 minutes. Add the gnocchi, stirring to coat. Cover and cook until the gnocchi are just tender, about 5 minutes. Uncover and stir in 1/4 cup parmesan and the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup parmesan; transfer to the broiler and cook until golden and bubbly, about 3-5 minutes.

2 comments:

melimba said...

No way did you make your own gnocchi?!? Uh, that's amazing. Yeah, I'd say you're getting back into the swing of things for sure! You go, girl!

Kiersten said...

So I dated a guy whose mom was Italian, and he taught me how to make gnocchi. When I met Jared, fresh off of his mission from Italy, he was quite impressed--I failed to mention that I learned it from an old boyfriend :) However, I've only made it a few times, because it is SO time consuming, but I am definitely going to have to brush off my gnocchi making skills for this recipe. It sounds SO GOOD. I'm glad to see you back blogging again! Hope things are going well for you guys!