July 10, 2009

Pink Grapefruit Sorbet

The theme for our cooking club this month was ice cream! I have never made it before. I thought I would do a sorbet to balance the richness of the other decadent flavors.
I have to say, it was delicious.

PINK GRAPEFRUIT AND BASIL SORBET
adapted from Emeril Lagasse
2 cups freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
2 cups simple syrup (equal amounts sugar and water heated until sugar dissolves; cool)
2 teaspoons grapefruit zest
1/3 cup packed basil leaves
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

First make your simple syrup, at first it will look like this...

Then it will look like this. Set aside

Zest about half a grapefruit for the 2 tsp needed, juice away. It took me about 2 1/2 grapefruits to get the needed juice. Don't worry about seeds or pulp - your going to strain later. Add the simple syrup and bring to a boil.

I bought a basil plant just for this... and all the other yummy recipes involving basil. Pack in the basil to make 1/3 a cup.

Once the juice mixture has come to a boil, remove from heat and add the basil leaves. Let steep for 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice.

Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve and set aside to cool. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Then put in ice cream maker an use according to manufacturer's instructions.

Transfer to a freezer-proof container with a lid and freeze until firm, about 6 to 8 hours, or over night. This was delicious. Trust me - I know it might sound odd, but it is delicious. Very refreshing.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

I wish I could have come last night to try this!!!

Lisa said...

This sounds interesting but I bet it is so refreshing. I could use some right now. :)