April 21, 2010

Cranberry Salmon

I feel like this recipe is semi-cheating for this month's theme. But - it was new to me. My father-in-law tried a cranberry salmon dish at a local restaurant. I didn't see it or try it - but just thought I would do something similar.
I know cranberries aren't really the thing at this time of year, but I love them and stock up around thanksgiving and freeze them. They freeze really well. I have seen them in the freezer section at our grocery store, if you don't have a store of them in your freezer.


Cranberry Salmon
1 shallot or 1/4 red onion, sliced thin
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup cranberries
1 cup orange juice
2-4 Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup toasted walnuts

In a small pot, saute shallots in olive oil until soft. Add cranberries, orange juice, and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook until cranberries have popped. Stir and mash occasionally. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
Meanwhile, season salmon filets with lemon pepper and salt. Place under broiler for 4 minutes on each side. Dress with Cranberry Sauce.

Tips:
I like my salmon cooked Medium. If you like yours more well done then cook for about 5-6 minutes on each side. Try it more rare though - you may be surprised!

4 comments:

Maria said...

Never thought about cranberry and salmon together. Great idea!

Camille said...

I love cranberries. I love salmon. Why NOT put the two together? Ingenious :)

Hannah said...

This looks fantastic. I think I may try it. I love me some cranberries...

Sook said...

Wow, cranberry and salmon! Why didn't I think of that before? Looks fabulous!