July 20, 2010

Apricot Prosciutto Toasts

About 3 1/2 years ago my sister started a cooking club with a bunch of her friends and invited me. I was newly married and really didn't have too many married friends. Every month we would get together with a theme (an ingredient, an idea, a dish) and everyone would bring a dish. It was so fun. Saturday was my last cooking club ever. I choose the theme - using an ingredient you have never used before. I have eaten plenty of prosciutto in my day, but never actually cooked with it. And I have never used mascarpone cheese. I saw this recipe on Food Blogga. It is so delicious. I think everyone needs to try it.
What I will give you is the process, but if you want the full recipe check out Susan's recipe over at Food Blogga.


Grilled Apricot Toasts with Prosciutto and Mascarpone Cheese

Crusty Bread
Olive Oil
Apricots
Mascarpone Cheese
Honey
Fresh Rosemary (my grocery store was out of Rosemary, so I used thyme. Still great)

Brush slices of crusty bread with olive oil, grill until golden brown, flip, repeat. Set aside. Cut apricots in half, brush with olive oil and place cut side down on the grill. Cook until grill marks appear, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook for a minute or two, just to help the fruit warm all the way through. When done, cut each half into four wedges.
Assembly: On each piece of toast spread a layer of mascarpone, then place a slice of prosciutto,  (I put mine on the grill pan for a few seconds to bring it to room temperature.) drizzle with honey, and top with a little rosemary (or thyme in my case). These are great warm or room temperature.

Tip: Use a grill pan, these are fast, and then you don't have to heat up your grill.

Thank Susan for the recipe - what a great balance of flavors and textures!

3 comments:

Hannah said...

These were amazing. We're going to miss your yummy food!

Pink Little Cake said...

I saw this picture over at Hannah's blog, thank you for posting the recipe. Looks delicious!

Tiffany said...

I cannot wait to try this.