September 15, 2009

The Importance of Measuring

My mom is one of the most amazing bakers/cooks ever. And I am not just saying that because I grew up on her food. Really, she is amazing. That's why I don't feel that bad posting this - it is purely comedy that she did this.
So along with my mom, my grandma was a great baker - with a knack for the sweets. She had this oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe that was to die for. My mom made it this weekend on our getaway. (Minus the chocolate chips because my sister doesn't like chocolate - I.know.) I saw them and thought they looked odd - the exact shape as when they went in - fingerprints and all. Plus, they tasted like flavorless hockey pucks.


She doubled the recipe so I thought something had to have gone wrong there. We went over the recipe, yep, she read it wrong. The 3/4 cup shortening, sugar, and brown sugar were interpreted as 1/4 cup. (It is hard to read). Then she only had 3 eggs, not 4. So, we tried to fix it and ended up with these. They tasted slightly better (enough that the kids ate them) but just waited until Hannah brought up the dough she happened to make earlier and froze. Bless you sister. (follow the link to see how the dough really should look).



Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
3/4 c. shortening
3/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
2 c. quick rolled oats
1 pkg. chocolate chips
3/4 c. chopped nuts (optional)

Cream together shortening and sugars. Add eggs. Add remaining ingredients in order and mix well. Bake at 350 degrees until done. (About 10-11 minutes.)

*Although we did have a failure due to poor eyesight and bad printing - I promise, these are some of the best cookies you will ever have!

3 comments:

Miranda said...

Ha! I love it. I do that kind of thing ALL. THE. TIME. I've been reading your blog since day one btw. It's about time I finally commented huh?

Hannah said...

poor mom. that is hilarious.

Janssen said...

Those look AMAZING. Definitely marking them for future use.