March 10, 2010

Chocolate Fondue

I love fondue parties. I think it is so much more social and comfortable than a normal dinner party. It's so fun to sit around the table, chatting and eating. If you want a more formal dinner, have this for dessert to get things cozy before you pull out the board games.

You are going to die (unless you already know) at how easy this chocolate fondue is. Basically it is just warm ganache. So don't throw away your leftovers! (Why were you thinking of throwing away chocolate?!) Warm it up and top you next cake with it, or ice cream, or use at room temperature for frosting or filling a cake, or put it on top of potato chips (the ruffly ones, I know what your thinking, but trust me), or eat it with a spoon like me and Lou do.

Okay, enough of the tangent here is the recipe.


Chocolate Fondue
12 oz good quality chocolate
1 c heavy whipping cream
dash of vanilla
pinch of salt (I learned this from my pastry chef friend)

Melt together in microwave safe bowl, stirring every 15 seconds, until melted. Transfer to fondue pot on low temperature. Dip in your favorites.
*For a variation try adding cinnamon, or peanut butter; or replace the vanilla with mint extract, amaretto, or other extracts you like. 


Some of my favorite dippers are pound cake (our store was out, so we went for angel food cake), pretzels, graham crackers, marshmallows, bananas, and of course - strawberries.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

yummy!! you can NEVER go wrong with chocolate and whipping cream!

Funny enough, when we got together the other night I was going to plan a fondue party, but just got lazy...I say next time I'm in utah, we MUST do fondue!!

It was so fun to see last week, I wish we saw each other more often! you look fabulous too by the way!

Nancy said...

I thought the pinch of salt was my tip. Unfortunately, when the pinch is applied with bad eyes the result can be disastrous.

Ericka said...

What does the pinch of salt do for the fondue? Curious...

Wendy Martin said...

Love this recipe!! Have made it 3 times. My kids and I love it for special occasions..