I have never been a huge fan of mayonassie. And having potato salad with tons of mayonnaise is never appealing. Plus, mayo goes bad in the sun. Here a mayo-free picnic-friendly potato salad that is simple and delicious.
Picnic Friendly Potato Salad2- 2 1/2 red potatoes
4 slices bacon
4-6 green onions
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut potatoes into large 1 inch cubes. Place in large pot and cover with cold water - about 1 to 2 inches above the level of the potatoes.
2. Meanwhile, cook bacon until crispy. Crumble or cut into little pieces.
3. Slice green onions thinly, using the white and the greens.
4. In a large bowl whisk together red wine vinegar, mustard, and salt and pepper. While still wisking, add in olive oil slowly. Add in green onions.
5. When potatoes are cooked, drain, and place in large bowl with dressing. Add bacon, stir until combined. Can be served warm or room temperature.
Serves about 4.
Tips:Leave the skin on the potatoes. Taste and looks better.
To cook bacon and avoid splatters and smelling like bacon for the rest of the day - make it in the oven. Place metal cooling rack on baking sheet. Place bacon on cooling rack and bake at 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes, depending on thickness.