November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving Review

This was our first Thanksgiving without family. It wasn't the same, but we had a lot of fun with some local friends. One friend who was planning on making a turkey decided that going into labor was more fun - so she enjoyed her new little baby boy and I made the turkey. I also made the ham, stuffing, gravy, and cranberry sauce.
The cranberry sauce I use is a recipe from one of my best friends in high school. Thanks Mel for sharing this recipe. Now, I will share it with all of you. Make this for your Christmas turkey or anytime you have poultry around.


Cranberry Sauce
1 pound (4 cups) fresh cranberries
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup water
zest of 1 orange
fruit of 1 orange, peeled, chopped into small pieces
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Sprinkle ground cinnamon

Wash cranberries and set aside.
Bring sugar and water to a boil. Add cranberries, oranges, and cloves. Simmer over a high flame, stirring frequently, until berries pop open. (I like to mash it a little so the cranberry pieces are a little smaller). Stir in crushed pineapple, walnuts, and cinnamon. Cool and serve.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The pineapple in this sounds yummy! Maybe I'll try this one for Christmas. My homemade jellied sauce didn't jell this year and I ended up with cranberry syrup. :)

Hannah said...

Your meal looks fantastic.