December 08, 2010

Corn Chowder

One great thing about cold weather is I have a good excuse to make soup. I love soup. I even make it in the summer. But it is a bit more comforting in the winter - but must be accompanied by big fuzzy socks.
This corn chowder is from my old roommate Monica. I love it because of the surprising flavors of rosemary and cayenne. Yum! And the original recipe calls for half and half - but I use milk to cut some calories. But really I can't taste much of a difference.


Corn Chowder
2 cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped carrots
½ cup chopped celery
3 Tbsp butter
7½ cup corn (divided)
2 tsp fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
¼ tsp cayenne
6 cups chicken stock
1 cup half and half
1 bell pepper, sauteed
salt and pepper


In a large pot sauté onion, carrots, and celery in butter until onions are translucent and veggies are starting to get soft. Add 5½ cups of the corn, rosemary, cayenne. Cook for 2 minutes.
Add chicken stock, bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for 30 minutes. In batches, puree in a blender. Return to pot. Add milk (or half and half for richer taste), remaining corn, and bell pepper. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Tips:
For the corn I think frozen is best. Fresh is great, but hard to find the majority of the year.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would frozen corn work in this recipe?

Sarah said...

Sorry - I should have put that - I almost always use frozen corn. You can used canned too - but I think frozen is best.

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Yum! I love corn chowder.

Amanda said...

Thank you for posting this. Am filing it away for next week when I need a filling, easy meal during finals week.

Miranda said...

I could eat soup every single day of the winter. I'm so glad you posted this.

Christina said...

How many servings would you say this makes?