December 06, 2010

Pumpkin Pie

Thanksgiving, though over a week ago, was a blast. But I will say, I was slightly disappointed that there was no pie. In our family that's the best part! So for Sunday dinner, I made pumpkin pie. I had all the ingredients and thought why not! I have never made a pie before so I was slightly nervous. But I was really pleased with the outcome. I was planning on using half butter and half shortening, but my shortening was gone. I did straight butter and was surprised that it still came out very flaky and very tasty!
Thanks to my sister who suggested this pie crust recipe, I used the same ingredients - but the directions are my own, hence the silliness and possibly bad grammar.



Pumpkin Pie
adapted from here and here
Pie Crust
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, chilled and diced
1/2 cup ice water

Cut butter into small cubes (I do about 24 cubes per stick). Place in freezer while you prepare the rest of your ingredients (you don't want it frozen, just really cold when you are ready to use it). Next make a big bowl of ice water, set aside. Okay, now you are ready to go.
In your food processor, combine flour and salt, pulse a few times just to mix it up. Add butter, pulse until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. While pulsing, add water, a couple tablespoons at a time, until comes together. (Here's a trick: if you pinch the dough and it holds together - you are good. Too much water = soggy crust. Lean toward the dry side!) Cut in half and form lightly into balls. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate. Place back in fridge until ready to use, at least 30 minutes.

Tips:
Keep everything VERY cold! Have things ready and chilling until right before they go in the bowl! This is very important.
Remember - imperfect looking dough means a perfect tasting crust. If you mix it too much and it looks uniform, it isn't going to be flaky.
The less your hands touch it the better.

Pumpkin Pie Filling
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
4 large eggs
1 large can (30 oz.) Pumpkin Puree
24 oz Evaporated Milk

Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
Separate evenly into two pie shells. Place on cookie sheet (just to be safe in case there is a spill, if you are more confident then me, go ahead and try without one).
Bake in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving. 

Tips: 
I actually didn't have evaporated milk at my house. I used whole milk. The result was just as delicious, but the texture was slightly softer than the typical result. My husband actually preferred it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE a good pumpkin pie but I'm now kinda craving those mint chocolate cupcakes too. :)

Jessica said...

I'll have to try that butter only recipe for crust. Butter is always better right? Great job on your first pie! Looks perfect.